Thursday, February 7, 2013

Totally off topic, sewing machines.

Today is a day for writing about a topic that really is mundane. It is not a lesson, a way to do things better, metaphysical, religious, or otherwise. It is something I have discussed before.
I get email on all kinds of things. I have mentioned a few times that I am a quilter and I love quilting. I am a fabricaholic. I admit it totally. I have had a few email on quilting, and most center on one thing. The questions I have been getting lately are about what sewing machine I recommend. That's actually a tough question. Today's sewing machines are so refined that a quilter, a couture fashion designer, and a home decorator, would all want different machines. I can speak most informatively on quilting, and machine quality.

First, buy from a dealer. They know their stuff. Machines may be cheaper on EBAY, but you may be getting a refurbished machine (one turned in for warranty repair, revamped and resold),  one that has been used more that you would like, one that had water spilled in it, or a bunch of other problems. The dealers not only will assist with issues, but will let you know how to maintain the machine, do services for you, have the accessories you need, and give lessons on the machines. They also will let you try out a machine in the store before buying it. Many of today's machines have more controls than a 747, and it would be a waste not to use them. The classes are free if you purchase from the dealer. They want you to be happy.

Choose your manufacturer before your model. Today there are several excellent manufacturers. Some make better machines of one type than others.  Bernina was the only high end machine for a while. I have to say I am not, nor ever have been, a Bernina fan, but then I didn't buy the Sassoon jeans years back either. I don't buy to flash a name, I buy for value. Bernina's are, and have been, overpriced. They are great machines, but most of the price is for the name.I had a Singer that cost less than my mother in law's Bernina... a lot less, it lasted longer and had more functions.

The best quality today is Janome (which has bought out and is improving Horizon). Janome was New Home back in the day. My Grandmother had a New Home and I can't remember that machine ever not working. My Janome has thousands (yes thousands), of hours on it. It has never skipped a beat....and I am bad. I do not take it in for maintenance anywhere near as often as I should. It functions better than my expensive Baby Lock, but the Baby Lock has some functions my Janome doesn't. That being said,my Janome is not a specialized quilter's machine and the Baby Lock is, so I don't see it as a manufacturer's issue, but me buying a machine that wasn't exactly what I needed.

Check out the sites for each manufacturer. They will describe models and types and you will have a good idea what you need. Machines may even do things you didn't know they did. My Janome can thread a bobbin while I am sewing! That is a neat trick for me, may not be so important to you. I thought I would never use it....surprise...I do.

Buy the right machine for what you are doing. I have two machines to accommodate all my sewing needs. Many times one brand will do something better than another, and you will end up with more than one machine (the lady who I purchase from at the local dealer has 4 machines). Some quilters have a little Singer Featherweight to take to class (today's machines weigh a lot more than the "portable" ones of a few years ago), a machine for piecing and another for quilting. There may even be a long arm quilting machine in the basement, or one that does embroidery. Most "sewists" have more than one machine.

My Janome is a Memory Craft 6500, and I recommend that quilters buy the newer Memory Craft "Q" designated machines. My Baby Lock always leaves a bunch (not a huge bunch , but a bunch none the less), of thread when it begins sewing. I talked to the repair people at the shop and they say all Baby Lock's do that and the quilters hate it (yes we do, fine triangle point pieces don't need bunches of thread under them). My Janome also does more uniform decorative stitches, the difference is amazing. The Baby Lock also has a bad habit of pulling the thread up out of the needle when I use the automatic thread cutter. Automatic thread cutters save you a TON of thread. It is worth having that function, but not if it doesn't work right. Who wants to thread a needle every 2 minutes.

The other machine that is the hot machine with local quilters and teachers is the Elna Excellence (model 720 and 740 are the top of the line). There are a few models of course, and special ones for quilters. Many now advertise a speed of 1000 SPM, you will NEVER sew at that rate, so don't let the high speeds seduce you.

So I say go with a Janome "Q" designation machine or an Elna Excellence. I have been told that the best sergers are made by Baby Lock, so keep that in mind also.

That being said people, save your money before you go. It is next to impossible to get a machine price, it is like buying a car, there are deals out there. Working with dealers has another advantage, many take trade ins, and if you are low on cash, this will not only help you buy a new machine, but you can buy a used one to get started. Dealers sell all models on used equipment.

When you want a really good specialized quilter's machine, you will spend between $800-2500. You don't have to go to the top machine, make sure it is what you need, but figure realistically in the $1000-1500 range. Many dealers have payment plans and even manufacturer's specials where they offer interest free financing. Expensive machines may not be out of your reach. Ask your local dealer. Wait to get the machine you want also, don't settle, or you will have wasted a lot of money. Don't overbuy either. Having 100 functions you will never use is just plain expensive.

It is worth waiting for quilting shows and sale times to buy a machine. It is also worth forming a bond with the dealer. When you buy machine supplies and service your machine at the dealer, they will always be willing to give you a little extra. I had missed a giveaway when I bought my Janome, it was an extension table (and they aren't cheap, over $100 generally). They gave me the table even though the promotion was over, and I didn't know a thing about it.

It is a huge investment, so if you are just trying out the sewing hobby, get a Singer for $200. They aren't fancy, but they work well, and if you decide sewing isn't for you, you aren't a grand in debt. You will also be able to tell the dealer what your frustrations are with using the machine and what your wish list is. They then can point you to a machine you will love, and you can save the cheap machine for when your expensive machine is in having its' maintenance done.

After you spend all that money, don't get cheap. Buy good thread appropriate for what you are doing, and the best fabric you can afford, it really does sew differently. Quilter's, unless you are doing art quilting, always ONLY use 100% cotton thread and fabric. It reacts differently and you will be more pleased with your final result.

Quilters, also make sure your machine has adjustable needle position, a quarter inch foot and a switchable needle plate with a single hole instead of an elongated space needed for zig zag sewing. My Baby Lock came with both plates, they screw on, but there are very expensive machines where you push a button and the plate switches! The single hole keeps points and small pieces of fabric from getting pulled down into the machine. You will be in quilting classes where the teacher will ask for a "scant quarter inch two clicks in". Without the adjustable needle, you are in trouble, your quilt may not lay flat or the seams may not match up.

Research the machines and make sure you get the one you need. Don't overspend, but don't underspend either. Buy from a dealer, and make sure that , unlike me, you service your machine regularly. It costs a few bucks, but will save you a ton in having to buy a new machine.

Happy sewing!!!




Peshaui Wequashimese




(C)2013 Dr R M Wolf, may not be used, copied or reproduced without prior written permission.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.