Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ask, observe, research.

I realize that much of what I have learned in the past few years came from asking. Just asking a question. Much also came from quiet observance. That is where many people stop. They get one person's opinion or tradition, and go no further, thinking that is gospel.They see people do things that are not correct and emulate them. The key is to make sure that you immerse yourself in the experience more than once. Then there is the all important final step. The one many do not get to, or do not do correctly. The dreaded word "research". 

I say that people do not do it correctly as people tend to search on what they want to hear. For example, a person was around a few years ago, in the spotlight, who was a sham. They wrote a book, so they must be smart right? Wrong. Remember the saying about Shakespeare and monkeys? You can easily publish a book on your own today, saying whatever you want to. I had heard quite the opposite on this person so I entered their name with other words like "fake" and Voila! A ton of information that was valuable and clear. These weren't just people throwing stones, they were scholars showing how his information was totally incorrect. It was footnoted, proved as false, and was there if you looked.

I did the research, that means looking at all possibilities for and against your argument, and then weighing the difference.

I had to go back to a mentor last night and ask a question I already knew the answer to. I received a very strong and well explained answer, and now I have work to do that was unexpected. It isn't hard or will take a lot of time, but it is still something that should not have had to be done. I am learning. I am learning that I have to be vocal about my teachings. I have also learned that I have awesome resources to help me along the way. I don't mind learning something new, and never have a problem being told that I am not doing something right (IF I am being told my a reliable source). I always want to do things correctly, especially spiritual endeavors. I do not want to passively teach the wrong thing by making mistakes. When I make them, I correct them , and let others know.

We can go through life half way doing things, or adjusting things the way we want, or we can do the right thing for the right reasons.....the second way always turns out the best.

Do the right things for the right reasons!

Peshaui Wequashimese


(C)2011 Dr. R M Wolf, May not be used, copied or reproduced without prior written permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.