Friday, November 18, 2011

Happiness, it doesn't cost a penny

When I was in college, I thought happiness was something that was tied to success, money, and recognition. Then I grew up. After moving up through the ranks in corporate America, building a huge, beautiful house, and honeymooning in Hawaii, I realized that this wasn't happiness. It was stress. Once you achieve these things, you have to maintain a high level of income and dedication in order to maintain it. You have to climb ever higher to have even better......

Better what?

It took a huge downturn to make me realize a few things. It didn't matter what type of house you live in , as long as it is safe and warm. It doesn't matter if you get your books from Barnes and Noble and sip overpriced coffee while you shop, or stop at the local library, the story you read and the information that you gather is still the same. It doesn't matter what the label says in your clothing, it matters that it is comfortable, fits , and keeps you warm/cool. It matters when you just can toss it in the washer and dry it in the sun, that is a thousand more times positive and inexpensive than chemicals at the dry cleaners.It matters that you have people who stick by you, the ones that desert you are the ones that weren't really there in first place. It matters that you can be happy in your own company, becasue if you can't, who else would want to be in your company? It matters that you have access to what you need, it doesn't matter to have access to what you want.

It doesn't matter that the car is new and has the latest gadgets. It matters that when you turn the key it starts, and when you step on the brakes, it stops. It matters that you know the bus routes or have a pair of shoes that you can walk in, not only do you get there free, but you are a healthier person for it. It really only matters that you have food in your belly everyday, not that you have steak every night, or dinner at the hottest new place in town.

It doesn't matter if you have hip clothes, eat hip foods, and go to the hip places, the exact opposite is what really matters.

What matters is enough. Enough food to keep you satisfied, enough clothing to keep you warm and dry, or cool and comfortable. Enough room in your home for that which you need. Enough friends (and that "enough can be only one"), who will be there when you really need them, and will be there when you just want to talk, laugh and have fun. Enough freedom to keep you in happiness and peace.

It isn't about attention, recognition, a large bank account or material things, well it is to some people. When all the "fancy" was taken away, and I started over, it was scary, but once I realized that the Universe wouldn't let me fall if I didn't let me fall, all was well. Now I have a comfy house that I bought on my own, I now share it with my husband, I love so very much, and two cats who entertain me to no end. I have good health, good friends, good books, a big backyard to experience Mother Nature,  and good times. I have my own business, and even if I don't make what I used to, I can't say that there is a darn thing I need, and I really can't think of anything I want (that I can't just go and get).

I see people running around trying so hard to keep up with each other, not realizing that as far as God/ the Universe/ the Highest Power is concerned, you just look silly. You look insecure, and you look scared. Could you survive if the rug were jerked out from under you? Could you eat spaghetti leftovers for days on end and still be happy? Could you get your workout in Mother Nature and not in the expensive gym?

What is important, as the old saying goes, are the things that money cannot buy....as we make our "Thank you" lists for Thanksgiving, make sure that the thanks are for non material things. Good kids, good health, good times, and good friends. When you have these things, you truly are one of the richest people on the planet!

When the Universe gave us happiness it made sure that it didn't cost a penny. 

Have an awesome weekend!


Peshaui Wequashimese



(C)2011 Dr. R M Wolf. May not be used, copied or reproduced, without prior written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.