Monday, July 30, 2012

My way or the Highway....

My way or the highway.

How often have you received that kind of response from someone? The answer should be "never" because we all should know better than to be associated with people like that.There are times when there are ways something should be done, but rarely do these words rise in those instances. They arise because someone wants their way, and doesn't want to hear your perfectly good argument why they can't have it their way.

There was only one time in my life when I heard a version of these words. I don't hang out with bullies nor even begin to condone their behavior, so I don't get into those situations. I told the person who said the words....then have fun doing this alone. It was my boss, and after working 10 hours in the Las Vegas heat without a break, I was walking inside to get a drink. She said "If you do not pick up this person right now, I will get someone who can." Funny words from a person who worked in a branch staffed by two people, me and her. I told her, I am getting a drink of water, and if you get in my way, you are not going to be happy, then have fun doing this alone. I went and got my drink. I then when and picked up the person, and quit the next day. When the big boss found out what happened, she was fired, after all, if I passed out driving a customer back from their home....

Never , ever give in to threats. It may mean not doing something at all because you want to walk away, but it is always better in the long run. General principal says we should never give in to bullies anyway.

The opposite side of this is not to threaten or coerce anyone. Do not make idle threats, and when you give ultimatums, be prepared for people to accept them. So many clients give ultimatums that they will leave their partner, the partner says, "ok go", and they never really wanted the partner to go. Now the relationship is permanently damaged. The partner may be totally fed up, or will never listen to your ultimatums again.

We are not here to make people do what we want them to do. We can counsel, teach, ask, and even debate, but in the long run, you have to allow people to make the decisions that they want to make and act on them. No one rules this universe that lives on this planet!


Do the right things FOR THE RIGHT REASONS!



Peshaui Wequashimese




(C)2012 Dr. R M Wolf, may not be used, copied or reproduced without prior written permission

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.