Monday, March 14, 2011

Spirit of the flute

Yesterday we had a little "flute day" here at the house. It is fun to play with others, and learn a little more about what wonderful (and sometimes not so wonderful), noises we can make with our flutes. Matt showed us some things, but the consensus was, we either couldn't quite do it, or if we could, we would forget how by the next day.

Flutes have a lot of history behind them. My ancestors and the tribes around them even had flutes in their war bundles. The popular theory was that flutes were for courting. They were, especially in the plains, but not everywhere. My ancestors used them as a courting/marriage symbol and had them in their healing and war bundles. The flute had a part in just about every aspect of their lives.
I am sure there is a joke in there about war bundles and marriage, but we will skip that for now, after all I get married in less than 3 weeks.

The flute, like the drum or any other ritual object, has a spirit in it. A spirit that lives in that object and brings its' influence to the situation. Sacred breath (also evident in reiki,) can heal or send prayers. There are certain tribe's war songs that required a flute to be sung (maybe it was easier to carry than a drum).

There are no so many flutes in this house (and a new one on the way), that I think we have a spirit for every occasion...but seriously, they are addictive. Some are plain, some studded with turquoise, some homemade but all have a beautiful voice.
I am about to have my first custom flute delivered to me, and I can't wait to play it!I have come a long way from frustratingly trying to make a stick of wood sound like music instead of a sick goose. Matt has taught a few of us to play, and we now have several additional flute players, a few who have really caught on and play very well.

Some people collect them as art.The flute is a beautiful object, but it's magic is in the breath that comes out of it. Flutes were not made to sit and be pretty or hide in a closet, that is stifling the healing, inspiring voice and prayers.It's an insult to the flute. The spirit feels it is not needed. Play your flutes if you have them. That is what they are for.

My flutes have become an important part of me, and so have my drums, we have shared with others and have grown and learned together. May your days be filled with beautiful music.



Peshaui Wequashimese




(C)2011 Triple Moon Goddess Gina, may not be used copied or reproduced without prior written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.