Thursday, March 24, 2011

There is always one.....

About ten months ago, I emailed a person who broadcast a Narragansett video on You Tube.I asked what kind of song it was, and what it was about. It could be a healing song, a particular dance, an honoring song... I didn't get a response, so I went to other sources and got all my answers. Actually MORE than the answer. I learned a lot and made some new friends.

Yesterday I get an answer to the original question. It was like a study in angry/crazy. In my email I told the person I was Narragansett/Pequot. The answer was so out there, including that they would not translate the song for me (Which is not what I asked), and such thing could only be done in a matter of national security (yes seriously), like Codetalkers. I would have to promise to die for the flag and it wouldn't be cheap to learn.

You start looking over your shoulder for the camera and the people laughing in the shrubbery......

Needless to say, I fired back an email...there were no tomahawks thrown, although the urge was there. I also advised this person that we don't charge for learning NA languages, etc. I can only deduce that this person has "issues", and was most likely locked up somewhere for the 10 months it took to answer the email, or had no clue what the song was about.

Meanwhile , I shared with my Narragansett teachers, who would just LOVE to know who this person is, but of course on YourTube, people go by their little "handles" not their real names. Maybe they will figure it out.

If anyone ever gets an answer like this from a Native teacher, run. The answer may be that they will take you on, but you have to dedicate a great amount of time, dedication and commitment.That is the right answer for certain things, sacred things. When you want to know about regalia, language, history, there should simply be a straight and honest answer. Please do not be afraid to ask questions. All the sane Native Americans out there will be happy to help you. When it is something that is beyond just an answer, as it is sacred, they will tell you that you need time, a mentor, and dedication. They may even point you to a person who will work with you.

I wrote and rewrote the email to this "person", and after the third rewrite, made sure I used Narragansett greetings, and traditional phrases to show them their secret language wasn't all that secret (you can buy a Narragansett dictionary if you want to, and I think I shall!). It took me all my life to find the one jerk, so I guess I am lucky.

So please, if you want to know something, ask. I cannot say each culture you meet up with in life will be so ready to share info, but I would think that every culture would want to share basic information. They all want to be understood and appreciated. When you come up against a person who says they don't share their language because (and I quote), "it is like casting pearls before swine"...move on to someone who understands the real meaning of their heritage.

I suspect that this person didn't know the answer to my question, and after 10 months of trying to find the answer, could not, so I got the crazy email...either that or they were a guest of the state in one way or another.

The fact remains, I found the answer, and much, much, more.


Learn, share and grow...and don't let the jerks of the world stop you from learning.




Peshaui Wequashimese





(C)2011 Triple Moon Goddess Gina. May not be used, copied or reproduced without prior written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that the blog is for helping and teaching. Any comments found to be abusive, hateful, negative or SPAM will not be published. My readers come here for positive solutions and growth, not negativity, arguments, nor hate.